We finally found a homemade vegan bread recipe that turns out beautifully with minimal effort. Recently, we had a Pampered Chef party at our house (seriously considering being a consultant) and we got a ton of stuff. One of my most dreamed about purchases is the Deep Covered Baker. Not only does it come in a beautiful deep cranberry color, but you can do tons of different things with it – including making bread!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker
- KitchenAid (or similar) stand mixer
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (use Wholesome Sweeteners – it’s vegan!)
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups hot water (120-130 degrees F)
- Lightly oil Deep Covered Baker (I use an oil sprayer, but a light brushing with a pastry brush works too)
- In KitchenAid stand mixer (or large 11+ cup food processor), combine dry ingredients in large bowl
- While machine is running on low, add hot water slowly until dough forms into a ball and starts to thump around
- Once the dough ball starts thumping, let it spin 20 times in the bowl.
- Place dough into greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel (not washcloth – don’t want fibers getting on the dough)
- Let rise 15 minutes
- Punch down 1-3 times and shape into a large loaf
- Place loaf in Deep Covered Baker
- Cut a slit in top of loaf (long ways) with a flour-tipped knife (so the dough won’t stick). Create diagonal slits from the center line so you have a branch/leaf look on the top of your bread (this helps it rise – it’s not for decoration)
- Put the lid on the Deep Covered Baker and place in a cold oven. Turn oven to 400 degrees and bake for 50 minutes
- NO PEEKING!! The bread is rising beautifully – I promise!
- After 50 minutes, remove from oven and turn bread out onto cooling rack.