By Megan Vick
Nava, over at VegKitchen has a great vegan lasagna recipe for you! You can find the original on VegKitchen, but here it is for you! Butternut squash replaces tomato in this Italian comfort food. Yummy nummy.
Butternut Squash & Mushroom Lasagna
- 1 large butternut squash – 2lbs
- 1lb mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and sliced (I used crimini, shiitake, and portabello)
- 1/4 dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly minced parsley (I used 2 tbsp dried)
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- Wheat germ for topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (I used 2 smaller onions which were sweeter)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (I pressed mine)
- Two 12.3 oz packages of firm silken tofu
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To bake the squash, halve it lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the halves cut side up in a shallow, foil-lined baking dish and cover with more foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife but still firm. This step can be done ahead of time.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, cut it into 1/2-inch-thick slices, then peel and cut each slice again so that it is 1/4 inch thick. Don’t worry if the slices break apart. If the squash has been microwaved, remove the seeds from it as you slice that section.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor and process until very smooth.
- Combine the mushrooms and wine in a wide skillet and cook over medium heat, covered, until the mushrooms are wilted, about 8 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
- Spread just enough sauce to coat the bottom of a shallow 9- by 13-inch casserole dish. Arrange one layer of 3 lasagna noodles over it crosswise. Follow with a layer of half of the mushrooms, half of the squash slices, and half of the remaining sauce. Then place another layer of 3 noodles, the remaining mushrooms and squash, and the remaining noodles. Finish with a layer of the remaining sauce, sprinkled with some wheat germ.
- Cover the lasagna loosely with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.